Ions ago, I studied electrical engineering and, even though I was never a brilliant engineer, I worked as an engineer for nearly twenty years and I’ve continued to work in a technical field the last six years as well. Throughout these twenty-five years, I’ve always been involved, in some capacity or another, in instructing others about how to use/repair/inspect machines. For the first twenty years, I taught men (i.e., technicians and engineers) and for the last three years I’ve been teaching women and children (e.g. grade school teachers and high school teachers and their students). Now, I know that doesn’t make me an expert, but I’d like to share with you what I’ve learnt about how people cope with new technologies:
First, many people think men have no trepidation about embracing new technology, which is not true. They fear change as much as any fellowman, but, and this is a big but, they are just intrinsically interested to know what the new device has to offer in comparison to the old one. It is this curiosity, which allows them to overcome their initial inhibitions.
In German they have a fear called “Berührungsangst” which translates as the fear of contact, touch, or encounter. And this is something that separates the men/boys from the women/girls. Ok, shoot me if I am wrong, but as a generality, men just do not experience Berührungsangst when it comes to new technology.
I can remember yelling at my son when he was young and he was making a beeline towards my friend’s complex (expensive) stereo equipment or running towards some sort of main control panel the moment we entered in an electronic store, “look with your eyes and not your fingers”; because he would be saying, “just looking, mom” at the very moment his fingers were pressing red buttons in a sequence I suspected would set off a nuclear explosion.
If anything, men tend to be a bit greedy and possessive about acquiring new technological devices. It’s-mine type of thinking often reigns in their heads and pockets. Men would benefit if they posed the following questions before they purchase their next gadget: do I really, and I mean really, need it: will this make a definite improvement to my life: does it improve the quality of communication or does it just make me more accessible: will this take me away from home and family or will it connect me to them in an important way.
Second generalisation, women tend to internalise or personalize things when machines or software programs don’t work in the manner they are intended to work, or as they previously worked, or as their husbands or boyfriends told them they would work. I’m sorry, but I can’t tell you how often I hear excuses like, “I don’t know why, but my email program isn’t working anymore”, to “my word processor doesn’t do what I want it to do”, to “my new computer doesn’t like me”: and this over and over again.
It is just not enough, in this age of technology, to be satisfied with a level of media proficiency that can only determine that something is broken. You have to be able to posses enough technical aplomb to fix the problems. Now, I am not suggesting opening up an operation manual here, heaven forbid, but you have to work out who you can talk to about the problem, or where you can take the defective digital camera to get fixed, or even possibly, what can I do differently that might produce better results.
Take it from me, 90% of computer problems lies with the user. That doesn’t mean that your 90% in the wrong, or 90% too stupid to do what it right, rather, 90% of the time you don’t handle the situation properly. It’s not personal. You just don’t have the right strategy or method to handle the situation properly. Honest, it’s as simple as that.
The fact is most of the digital media we use today is developed by men whose motivation for developing these products is anything but altruistic. They want to experience success, fame and large profit, and if possible, quickly. They spend more money and time on marketing than they do on usability and quality control. This does not excuse for them producing unstable and difficult-to-understand systems, it is just an explanation.
Once you know it is so, you have to figure out how to make things work for you: changing from a desktop email program (where you have to do all the updates and program configuration yourself) to an Internet-based email system (you log in and pick up your emails and that’s it), writing cheat sheets about certain functions you only use occasionally on your word processor (e.g., making certain types of tables or inserting photos), or creating a buddy system with a friend or an acquaintance to help you understand the quirks and whistles of you new computer.
Thirdly, and lastly, children, in general have it right when it comes to using new technology. You can sit a child before a new software program or digital device and say click on this button, then that one, then that, and that and that and ... on and on, forever, and they will do it enthusiastically, patiently, oh so patiently, without kicking up a fuss, with a natural curiosity, with an innate ability to deduce or extrapolate that would amaze most adults… basically they possess a greater ability to wander through the complex labyrinth of technology than most adults do. We adults, male and female, can truly learn from our children’s ability to unequivocally embrace new programs or processes.
They do not ask, what does it cost (well, at least not initially), will this give me an advantage over my next door neighbour, why do I have to use this new update when the older version works just fine, I like my old camera why go digital - they are happy to give it a try without questioning what personal gain they will reap.
Yes, this does mean that children, potentially, run the greatest risk of becoming consumers of media instead of participators, but that depends upon what type of educators and parental guidance they encounter.
What is important to know is that children can learn from us, but we also can learn more from them.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home